The Faculty of Law and Administration is one of the oldest faculties at the University of Warsaw. The idea and first plans to establish a university in Warsaw, including law studies, arose in the period of the first partition of Poland. Their realization came in 1774, which is when the Board of National Education became involved in the creation of the Capital University. 11th of October 1808 is regarded as the foundation date of the School of Law in Warsaw, which was called the School of Law of the Grand Duchy of Warsaw; the School's purpose was to prepare qualified staff for the judiciary and the public administration. The Minister of Justice, Franciszek Łubieński announced the decision to open the School in his speech delivered on that occasion in the Łubieński Palace. By royal edicts of 22nd May 1811, a School of Administrative Sciences was founded and joined to the School of Law shortly later. The School came to constitute one of the original five faculties of the newly created university.
As the School of Law and Administration was established in 1811, its management was handed over to the Supervising Board comprising, inter al., Stanisław Staszic and S. B. Linde, both figures of considerable import into Polish history. The position of the School was confirmed when Jan Wincenty Bandtkie, one of the most significant historians of the XIXth century, assumed the office of the Dean of the School in 1814. The Vienna Congress brought about important changes, and the Royal University of Warsaw was established in 1816 to incorporate School of Law and Administration as the Faculty of Law and Administration. Jan Wincenty Bandtkie continued his tenure as the Dean of Faculty. The journal “Themis Polska” published in the years 1826–1831 is evidence of the significant role of the Faculty in scientific and social life of contemporary Warsaw. It had great influence on the legal culture and doctrine.
The 2nd Republic of Poland nourished colossal developments of the Polish statehood and University of Warsaw alike. After the death of Marshal Józef Piłsudski, the University was given his name. The dynamic growth of the University and its Faculty of Law was stopped when the Second World War brought Nazi administration into Warsaw and the University was shut down. The Secret Faculty Council took all necessary decisions, defined the functions of institutes and ran clandestine courses as most other faculties. Law professors seldom stopped their scientific production and teaching; they inspired the development of Polish legal science and trained the legal scholars of the times to come after the war.
The University resumed its activity in May 1945. In July 1945, the Faculty of Law started teaching as well. The number of professors increased systematically.
Nowadays, there are about 7,000 students, numerous post-graduate students as well as the select few dozens of PhD students at the Faculty of Law. This makes our Faculty the largest Law Faculty in Poland. Such a great number of students required the working and teaching conditions to be improved. The Collegium Iuridicum I has been the main seat of the Faculty since 1940’s but the new Collegium Iuridicum II was opened in October 1998; this has not only greatly improved the teaching and learning conditions at the Faculty but also made it possible for the Faculty to host a number of conferences, extracurricular seminars as well as a number of Schools of Foreign Law. Further development of the Faculty's premises is under way, by October 2005 Collegium Iuridcum III comprising Library and offices will have been opened to the academic community.